leaderboard 1

Friday, 16 November 2012

I want to check the anode rod on a Rheem 82VH40-2.

Problem with Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC 82VH402

There are 4 plastic caps on top of the water heater. 3 are around the perimeter and measure about 1.25"D. 1 is more toward the center next to the electrical connection and is about 1.75"D. All have foam insulation under the plastic cap. Which is the anode rod? Dig out the foam insulation? Thanks so much for your help!!!

The water heater is 5 yrs old. From what I've read, checking the anode rod (and replacing when necessary) will extend the life of the water heater. I do not have an odor problem.

Yes you're exactly correct. If memory serves me it's one of the smaller ones and is located closer to the center than the outer regions. So pop off the covers one at a time and poke around under it with a small screwdriver or scribe or some such thing. You should be able to identify it by it's shape. I believe it's a 13/16th's size of a socket to remove it. Personally, I don't usually replace them unless the customer insists. I think they're a waste of money and can eventually cause very bad odors in the hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment